Carrefour pour Elle
Provide shelter and assistance to women who are victims of domestic violence and women in difficulty with their children.
Provide physical safety and emotional support to housed women and children, while helping them develop their ability to assert themselves and break free from their experiences of violence, through a process of devictimization.
years of existence
January 6, 1975
Carrefour pour Elle is opening its doors thanks to a grant from the Department of National Health and Welfare of Ottawa and the Congrégation des Soeurs du Bon-Conseil, which offers free furnished premises for one year. A helpline and housing are available. Thérèse Dallaire-Laplante is the founder of Carrefour pour Elle and she has been the director for the first 16 years.
Research is carried out by a sociologist to prove the necessity of the resource. Since then, the provincial government has subsidized Carrefour pour Elle, which was the first shelter for women victims of domestic violence and their children in the province of Quebec.
Establishment of external services for women victims of domestic violence for post-housing and group follow-ups.
Establishment of Pacifix – an external family intervention program.
Establishment of the consultation and prevention of violence in romantic relationships service.
Establishment and improvement of the Sans cri ni haine : vers des rapports égalitaires prevention program for young people in high school.
Consolidation of external services for women victims of domestic violence: individual follow-up for unhoused women and local intervention.
Establishment of a local intervention service at the Régie de police Richelieu Saint-Laurent with two other shelters of this area.
Vice-President: I. Richard
Treasurer: D. Asselin
Secretary: M. Leroux
Administrator: L. Foisy
Administrator: H. Talbi
Administrator: E. Labrie
Director: Marie-Christine Plante
For any communication regarding personal information, please contact the person responsible for personal information at the following email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hosting and External Services
- 11 counselors at the shelter reception
- 1 youth counselor for sheltered mothers and children
- 1 child caretaker
- 2 counselors for sheltered and post-shelter women
- 1 counselor for non-sheltered women
- 1 counselor for follow-ups of women in an external group
- 1 counselor in the external Pacifix program
- 1 youth awareness counselor (Sans cri ni haine vers des rapports égalitaires project)
- 1 outreach counselor for women victims of domestic violence in our territory
- 1 outreach services counselor
- 1 executive director
- 1 counseling coordinator
- 1 administrative assistant
- 1 housekeeping and material resources officer